Thursday, December 8, 2011

Changing Impressions

As the end of my exchange experiences nears, I find myself reminiscing more and more every day.  I’ve learned a lot about Japanese and Japanese culture while studying at Kansai Gaidai.  I knew being submersed into the Japanese culture 24/7 would be beneficial to my language studies, but I didn’t realize the shock I would take due to the differences between Japanese and Canadian culture.

[Kansai Gaidai]

My family is Chinese, and I’ve actually travelled to Japan several times before coming to Kansai Gaidai so I never thought I would be a victim of culture shock.  Thinking back, I feel like I can relate many of my experiences to the articles we read in Visual Anthropology.  The most relevant article is Befu’s Ethnography of Dinner Entertainment in Japan.  I found it shocking when my Japanese friend invited me over for dinner, but when I arrived I realized the invitation was only out of kindness and in reality they probably didn’t want me there.  I realized this when the two girls I was with at the time spent the entire night gossiping about people I didn’t know.

Befu made me realize that I was a victim of collusion; the idea of saying one thing but doing something else.  I want to think on a culturally relative level but can’t help but be ethnocentric.  Why can’t Japanese people just express what they feel?  I talked to my Japanese roommate about this issue and realized that to her westerns are selfish.  To my mind, I feel like Japanese people aren’t selfish enough.  If the two girls didn’t want me at the dinner, they shouldn’t have invited me in the first place.

With this in mind, I start to question if I can ever make a true Japanese friend.  By “true” I mean someone that isn’t afraid to tell me what they feel and what they want.  When I wrote my first post, I only looked at the surface of Japan [pachinko, ferries wheels, ect.].  Now that my exchange is coming to an end, I’ve realized the complexity of Japanese people and they’re way of thinking. I wish I had more time to explore these discoveries. 

[Japan]



1 comment:

  1. It does take a time to make discoveries and friends - it is especially challenging with the "temporary" status as an exchange student. I hope you have more opportunity to experience Japan (and make friends... it is possible!).

    Thank you for your efforts this semester.

    ReplyDelete