Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Portrait of a Japanese Person: Umeda Saya

Before coming to Japan and taking part in this exchange, I talked with many past Kansai Gaidai exchange students to hear their take on this experience.  Majority mentioned that making a true Japanese friend was the most difficult, as it was almost impossible to get over the “How are you, how was your weekend? That’s awesome! Bye now,” fluff talk. But even knowing this, I was prepared to push my comfort boundaries to make true friends. After moving into dorms and entering Gaidai, the process actually ended up being a lot easier than I thought. I got lucky.

My closest friend to date has to be my house mate, Saya.  She’s a second year Gaidai Student pursuing a degree in Tourism.  Her family is in Fukouka, which is why she’s living in dorms for one semester with the rest of us. Saya has so many characteristics that just embodies what is Japanese.  She’s so reserved, but always willing to extend herself to help others.  When it comes to homework, dinner, going out, she’s always there to help and give advice. 


Cooking is the most difficult problem we faced to date as a group. None of us know how to cook, and if it wasn’t for Saya I’m sure we would have all been on an instant noodle diet. I was able to catch this moment when Saya was preparing her bento for the next day’s lunch. The moment I mentioned this anthropology project, the first thing that came to her mind was “I don’t have any make up on!” which is so Japanese; no surprise at all.  But I m glad I caught her here, since it was because of cooking and making bento together every day, that brought us closer as friends.



Making Japanese friends isn’t hard at all.  Thinking back now, we’re all curious about each other and the more open you are with yourself, the higher the chances are of making a new best friend. 

1 comment:

  1. I am glad to hear that you are making Japanese friends. I think it takes effort of both sides to get beyond small talk.

    I like the first picture. She certainly doesn't need any make-up.

    ReplyDelete