Thursday, October 20, 2011

Yodoyabashi Train Station



When I arrived in Hirakatashi I knew if I were to take the Keihan Line, Yodoyabashi would be one of the end of line station in Osaka [every train would eventually stop there including local, semi express, ect.]. Keeping this in mind I knew the station had to have some kind of importance. When I headed down to Yodoyabashi station, the first thing I realized was how much it costed. 320 yen for a 26 minute train ride if you’re lucky enough to catch the Limited Express Line from Hirakatashi Station. If I were to do a round trip, the cost totals to 640 yen, and that doesn’t even include the 440 yen round way bus ride. 




Whenever I wanted to go shopping or meet up with friends, Yodoyabashi was the transfer point.  If you depart from Hirakatashi station, the most convenient way of switching over to the Osaka Municipal Subway Midosuji Line is at Yodoyabashi station.  At this point, you can access several large shopping districts such as Umeda, Hommachi and Shinsaibashi.

With such large shopping districts just one stop away, my first assumption of Yodoyabashi Station was that it was a major shopping district as well. After asking my Japanese friends, I soon realized this station is just the opposite; a busy corporate area.  Coming out of the station I was greeted by this beautiful metropolitan scenery on the Yodoyabashi Bridge.  But after this point, there was nothing but formal looking sky scrapers of business headquarters and hotels. The area is accessible by the Keihan bus, as well as limousine buses to the airport.  Major institutions around the station include Osaka City Hall and Nakanoshima Park [a public park that lies between Dojima and Tosabori River]. Major business headquarters include Osaka Gas Co. and Mizuno Corporation.







[Osaka City Hall]


[Nakanoshima Park]



I had fun exploring this area and hope to spend time exploring other stations as well.  It was very interesting to see how every station has something particular about it that makes it unique.


Reference:

Keihan Route Map
http://www.keihan.co.jp/en/station/

Google map:

City Hall Picture:

Nakanoshima Park Picture:

2 comments:

  1. Why do you have a picture of the Midosuji station sign and not a picture of the Keihan station sign?

    I mainly use Yodoyobashi to transfer to the subway. But there are actually some convenient shops and restaurants (including Subway if you need a sandwich fix) inside the station building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The restaurants must be a convinent place to have a quick lunch/ dinner for all the business mens arriving or transfering in. But as a student, I rarely stop at Yodoyabashi for food since it's mostly only a transfer point for me [there are a variety of shops once I reach my destination at either Nanba, Umeda, or Shinsaibashi].

    I used the picture of the Midosuji station sign to show how Yodoyabashi is much more important to me as a transfer point than a destination point. But next time I stop by, I will definetly take a shot of the Keihan station sign as well.

    ReplyDelete