Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Osakajo

As a current exchange student in Osaka, sightseeing has become second nature to my everyday life. I love learning about Japanese history, which naturally drew me to the numerous shrines, temples and castles. I recently made a trip to Osakajo and was blown away by the entire experience. 

Even before entering the castle we had to cross a bridge over a moat and stone barriers.  The stone barriers made a huge impression on me. There was a staircase leading to the top of the barriers, where you could get a breathtaking view of the Osakajo Park area.
Upon entering the park I was surprised to find not only beautiful Japanese gardens, but a Shrine [Hokoku Shrine] as well.  Upon talking to some visiting Japanese residences, I learned that the area is quiet famous for their cherry blossom trees that spout early April.  The shrine itself is guarded by a giant status of Toyotoi Hideyoshi. After paying my respect to the shrine I finally headed towards Osakajo.
[Japanese Garden]

I unexpectedly arrived on an anniversary date and was able to enter without paying the 600 yen fee. I was shocked by how modernized the castle is;  the inside is fully refurnished with wood.  Elevators took you up to the 5th floor, where you then had to staircase yourself up to the top.  Every floor was full of history and once I reached the top, I was awarded with this breathtaking view.

[Osakajo]

[Exhibit on every level]

[View from the top]

I definitely recommend Osakajo as a sightseeing spot.  It was an amazing experience, and something anyone can enjoy.





References:
Additional Information on Toyotoi Hideyoshi : 
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2123.html


Other popular travelling spots:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2157.html


Osakajo Guide:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4000.html

1 comment:

  1. As a visual anthropologist I would like to see your frame these posts as research rather than sight-seeing.

    Osaka-jo is an important place to visit in Osaka, as was recommended by your classmate a few weeks ago:

    http://hanfighters.blogspot.com/2011/09/osakajyo.html

    ReplyDelete